Key Stage 1
Welcome to Key Stage 1
In Key Stage One, we aim to build our pupils' confidence to become independent learners and begin to take ownership of their own learning. We strive to ensure all of our children develop confidence with core skills in reading, writing and maths but also to embrace the wider curriculum opportunities on offer here at Towngate Primary Academy. The importance of developing key values and personal beliefs - which make each child unique and special in their own way - at this age are paramount to our curriculum offer here at Towngate.
Year 1 - Miss Johnson, Mrs Danby and Mrs Bailey
Year 1 / 2 - Miss Lockett, Mrs Stephenson, Mrs Hanley and Miss Barnes
Year 2 - Miss Lane and Mrs Thackrah
We encourage children to be smart in appearance so they are ready to learn. Please see below for a list of our academy uniform:
- White polo shirt or collared shirt.
- Grey trousers, shorts or skirts
- Blue summer dresses orgrey pinafore
- Navy blue academy jumper or cardigan.
- Black shoes
It is important for the children to have correct PE kit - including correct footwear - to fully participate in PE lessons and sporting activities.
- Black/navy shorts
- White polo shirt or t-shirt.
- Pumps or trainers
- Black / navy shorts or jogging bottoms
- White polo shirt or t-shirt
- Black or navy hoody/jacket
In Key Stage One, we provide regular homework to ensure children are able to continue their learning at home and consolidate key skills. Homework is set weekly to allow for consistency and routines to be established. We value all support from parents and carers in ensuring the children complete their homework.
- Reading regularly at home with an adult to practice reading strategies taught in the classroom.
- Weekly spellings
- During the year projects are linked to our topic for children to complete at home.
Take a look at what we have been up to this week!
15th March, 2019
In Key Stage 1 this week, we have continued our learning in science to explore the sense of taste. We tasted four different food types to explore sweet, sour, bitter and salty. We discussed our favourite and linked this to the food we eat every day.