Science coordinator: Miss Lane
At Towngate Academy we ensure the children recognise the importance of Science in every aspect of our daily lives. Learning of Science at Towngate is concerned with increasing pupils' knowledge and understanding of our world, and with developing skills associated with Science as a process of enquiry. It will develop the natural curiosity of the child, ecourage respect for living organisms and the physical environment and provide opportunities to be reflective and critical of evidence.
Our teaching at Towngate Academy offers opportunities for children to:
- - develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through our challenge curriculum (see progressive skills document below);
- - develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of Science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them;
- - be equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of Science, today and for the future.
- - use a range of methods to communicate their scientific information and present it in a systematic, scientific manner, including I.C.T., diagrams, graphs and charts.
- - develop a respect for the materials and equipment they handle with regard to their own, and other children’s safety.
- - develop an enthusiasm and enjoyment of scientific learning and discovery.
We endeavour to ensure that the Science curriculum we provide will give children the confidence and motivation to continue to further develop their skills into the next stage of their education and life experiences.
At Towngate we are always looking to provide the children with hands on experiments and encouraging them to think and work scientifically.
Please visit our twitter feed to see what we are learning across the school in science: